Wednesday, December 5, 2007

MAZDASPEED 6 - Test Drive

I have to say I was extremely impressed the first time I drove this car. So my dad was about to get a new company car so I went out to test drive a couple of cars. I had heard that Mazda had just released an upgraded version of the Mazda6, so I went to the dealer to see it for myself. Statistically I was already impressed. The difference from the original Mazda 6 and the MazdaSpeed 6 is mainly the engine. Mazda pulled out the V6 engine and put in the Mazda 3's engine. You might be wondering why they would ever put a smaller engine and still call it MazdaSpeed, well the reason is because Mazda put in a huge turbo along with the 2.3L in-line 4 engine. This gave this car a total of 274hp. But improving in the engine is not the only thing that Mazda had in mind. Along with the improved horsepower, this was made into an all-wheel-drive and the transmission was switched to the only option of a 6-speed manual.

So I waled into the dealer and requested a test-drive and luckily they said yes. So I got into the car with the guy that was going to sell me the car. At first he started driving, then once he turned around the block I was behind the wheel. So as soon as I start moving a little with the car I simply floor it as hard as I can. There was no burnout whats so ever since this car has a great AWD system which got me from 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds. As soon as I accelerated I noticed that the guy next to me was very nervous, and as I slow down he starts telling me how he got into car wreck the week before when his brother was driving. I just thought it was kind of funny how I scared him so much! Oh and yes we did end up buying the car and the dealer guy was not the lat person to be scared in that car! So this was my father's company car so rarely I would be able to drive it. Occasionally in the weekends I would be able to drive it and when I did...wow! Let me tell you, this car has an amazing acceleration, great stability, tremendous traction, and to top it all off great looks. The MazdaSpeed 6 is easy distinguishable from the normal Mazda 6 due to its lowered body kits, bigger hood, and bigger dual exhaust. The only thing that really upset me about this car is that the dual exhaust looks really big but actually they are small and you can't see them unless you look into the exhaust. But who cares about how the exhaust looks when you could be doing 150 mph! That's right this car will top out at 150, and that is when the on-board computer will shut off the gas. So if you really wanted to go beyond the limit you could do a few tweaks here and there. I do not advise anyone to do that, 150 is enough! So apart from looking extremely aggressive this car can transfer into a comfortable family sedan. This is simply great, and up to this day my dad and I never regret getting it. Oh and the only reason that my dad's company let us get this car is because it is considered a normal sedan. My dad's company has a policy of no sports cars ;)

No comments: